An easy, colorful, and filling side. This sweet potato vegan recipe includes crispy chickpeas and a vibrant green pesto sauce. It comes together in just 30 minutes.
DIFFICULTY / TIME
Easy / 30 minutes
June 2, 2021
So often when I was struggling with binge eating and anorexia and feeling really overwhelmed and stressed, I would typically eat either super “healthy” or say f*ck it and eat everything in sight.
What that looked like was I would eat boring salads with steamed veggies, lettuce, and an uninspiring salad dressing. That was it. My husband would eat a variety of filling food that actually looked good.
I would be ravenous 2-3 hours later, so I’d binge. I hadn’t eaten enough food throughout the day. I wasn’t nourishing my body.
What if we allow ourselves a side that you actually feel good about and inspired? How would you feel? To know that you’re not eating something that is just one color.
This sweet potato vegan recipe has a vibrant green pesto dressing, beautiful orange color from the sweet potatoes, and crispy texture from the chickpeas. Oh yeah and the vegan pesto sauce is so freakin good. You’d never know that the cheesy flavor comes from nutritional yeast.
As you eat a salad, veggie burger, or chicken, you can pair it with this sweet potato vegan recipe side. It doesn’t really matter what you eat – you’re the boss. If you want to eat vegan, eat vegan. If you want to eat some meat, eat some meat. We’re all about eating food that you actually feel good about.
This sweet potato vegan recipe will round out any meal you’re making. If you make this recipe my friends, tag me on Instagram #akindspoon. More people need recipes that they actually feel good about eating.
More Easy Side Ideas
If you liked this sweet potato vegan recipe, I think you’ll love my sweet potato oven baked fries. They are so simple and delicious with my black bean burger recipe or any summer dish.
Sweet Potato Vegan Recipe
- 3-4 sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup chickpeas
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika powder
- Pinch black pepper
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil or olive oil
- 1 cup fresh basil large stems removed
- 3 tablespoon pumpkin seeds
- 3 cloves garlic pressed or minced
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3-4 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 5-6 tablespoon water plus more if needed
- Preheat the oven to 425 F / 220 C.
- Wash the sweet potatoes. Keep the skin on. Cut in half lengthwise.
- Transfer the sweet potatoes to a baking sheet. Drizzle oil on top of the sweet potatoes. Sprinkle it with salt and pepper. Place the sweet potatoes face down.
- Place the chickpeas and spices on the baking tray. Drizzle oil, salt, and pepper on top. Toss the chickpeas so well combined. You may need a second baking tray for your chickpeas.
- Cook for 25 minutes.
- While cooking, make the sauce. Add all ingredients to a blender. Blend until a thick pourable sauce forms. Test taste and add more of any of the ingredients.
- Remove the sweet potatoes from the oven once they are lightly browned. This is around 25 minutes cooking in the oven.
- To serve, use a spoon to mash the insides of the sweet potatoes. This creates more space for the chickpeas. Add the chickpeas and sauce on top. Enjoy!
Want to stop binge and emotional eating for good?
Get my 20 must-have recipes e-book packed with simple nourishing recipes you enjoy.
Leave A Comment