Looking to eat healthy while spending time with family and friends? Say hello to this easy quinoa salad recipe. All you need is to cook some quinoa and then combine the ingredients in a mixing bowl. It’s refreshing and light. And can be served hot or cold.
DIFFICULTY / TIME
Easy / 40 minutes
June 24, 2020
“Don’t worry. It’s healthy,” said people when I would eat a meal.
Yet I had become obsessed with knowing exactly how many calories were in my meal, how big the portion size, and how the meal was made. So giving up control when I went to a family gathering or social event could be a bit much.
How were they making the meal? What ingredients did they use? These thoughts raced through my mind. And not knowing the answers made me feel anxious. You see thoughts about my food and body occupied my mind. What should I eat or what shouldn’t I eat?
Oh my friend. If this is you, know that YOU ARE NOT ALONE.
It’s okay to have these thoughts. Yet how can we turn them into something manageable and allow ourselves to enjoy our meals and time with loved ones. One way we can do this is to take back the control and bring healthy meals to events.
By having a dish that I know the ingredients and how it is made, I feel more comfortable. One of those dishes that I love to share is this easy quinoa salad recipe.
HOW TO MAKE
In a medium saucepan, combine the quinoa and water. Bring this mixture to a boil and then lower to a simmer. Cook the quinoa until it has absorbed all of the water. This can take about 15 minutes. Remove the quinoa from the heat and set aside for 5 minutes.
In a mixing bowl, combine chickpeas, bell pepper, cucumber, onion, and parsley. Set aside.
In a small bowl, combine the olive oil, lemon juice, vinegar, garlic and salt. Give it a stir and set aside.
After the quinoa has cooled, add the quinoa to the mixing bowl with the chickpeas, bell peppers, cucumbers, onion, and parsley. Toss the mixture until combined.
Add the salad dressing to the quinoa mixture 5-10 minutes before serving. This helps keep everything nice and fresh.
Feel free to serve this easy quinoa salad recipe warm or cold.
Store this easy quinoa salad recipe in the refrigerator. It keeps for 3-4 days.
More Easy Salad Ideas
If you’re looking for more recipes to share, check out my grilled vegetable skewers. Veggie and meat lovers will all rejoice with this easy and versatile meal!
Easy Quinoa Salad Recipe
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa rinsed in a strainer
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas rinsed and drained, or 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 cucumber chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1 cup fresh parsley finely chopped
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic pressed or minced
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In a medium saucepan, combine quinoa and water. Bring this mixture to a boil and then lower to a simmer. Cook the quinoa until it has absorbed all of the water. This can take 10-15 minutes. Remove the quinoa from the heat and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine chickpeas, bell pepper, cucumber, onion, and parsley. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the olive oil, lemon juice, red wine vinegar, garlic and salt. Give it a stir and set aside.
- After the quinoa has cooled, add the quinoa to the mixing bowl. Toss the mixture until combined.
- Add the salad dressing 5-10 minutes before serving. The quinoa salad can be served warm or cold.
- Store this easy quinoa salad recipe in the refrigerator. It keeps for 3-4 days.
Want to stop binge and emotional eating for good?
Get my 20 must-have recipes e-book packed with simple nourishing recipes you enjoy.
I love quinoa salad recipes for lunch. It’s my go to and this recipe tasted awesome. I like the fresh lemon dressing.
Thanks Sarah! It’s so good to hear you enjoy this for a quick and easy lunch option.